Announcing a new feature…The Collector.
I get a lot of questions about the value of collectible whiskies. Unfortunately, I’m not a collector, I’m a drinker, and I can’t answer these questions. Luckily for me, I know one of the word’s foremost collectors…Sukhinder Singh, proprietor of London-based The Whisky Exchange.
I end up farming out many of the questions to Sukhinder and get back to the reader who e-mailed the original question via email.
I figure, why not make this a regular feature?
Once a month (The last friday of each month) I’ll post the responses from Sukhinder for everyone to read. So if you have questions on a collectible bottle you’ve discovered, send them in, and we’ll get them answered. Use the “…Ask the Collector” link under “Stay in Touch…” over to the right.
If you want to read more about The Whisky Exchange, here is a story from May 2006.
And now, the first installment of “The Collector”.
We are getting swamped with emails every
month! Believe me, we get a LOT of questions and only a small
percentage of them make it here – but we try to respond to everyone.
In order to help reduce the amount of work, I thought I’d establish some ground rules:
- Before emailing, please look through the
old “Ask The Collector” stories, to see if a similar bottle has already
been appraised. If we get another question about the value of a bottle
of White Horse from 1990, I’m going to put my head through the screen.
- Some people have been leaving questions
for Sukhinder in the comments. This is a no-no. I will assume any
questions left in comments are for other readers to answer and NOT for
Sukhinder – If you want Sukhinder’s expert opinion please use the “…Ask the Collector” email address in the link to the right.
- No questions will be considered without an included picture. I spend too much time asking people for pictures. Starting in 2007, I’m afraid we can’t respond to any questions which don’t include a picture of the bottle. In
you don’t include a picture, you won’t get a response. Make sure your
pictures include the fill level as well as the label and any
- If Sukhinder makes an offer to buy your bottle, please do him the courtesy of responding whether you accept his offer or not.
- Please visit The Whisky Exchange – either in person or via their website. Let’s support Sukhinder, as he is providing this valuation services for free!
Continue Reading >>